James S. Montano
Toxic Tort / Hazardous Substances Litigation
Commercial / Corporate
Jim Montano is a founding partner of the firm. Mr. Montano is an experienced litigator, having tried cases to verdict, and handled nearly 2000 depositions and motions in almost seventeen years of practice. He handles matters primarily in the areas of mass tort and environmental litigation, products liability, coverage litigation, commercial, corporate and business law. In addition, Mr. Montano also handles matters dealing with commercial landlord/tenant, tax lien foreclosure, employment and trademark infringement litigation.
Mr. Montano understands the needs of his clients, having run his own business and having worked as an insurance claims handler prior to entering the field of litigation.
- Worked as counsel for an insurance carrier with insuredís counsel to obtain a nominal settlement with the EPA on behalf of a NJ PRP in a $22 million dollar environmental matter.
- Represent NJ corporation in the largest environmental matter in NJ history.
- Served as lead defense counsel in asbestos depositions throughout the country in matters alleging injuries from asbestosis & lung cancer to mesothelioma.
- Represented and obtained numerous dismissals and favorable settlements for asbestos defendants including manufacturers, suppliers, contractors and premises owners.
- Represented major manufacturer of Ephedra containing products as local counsel in various NJ products liability suits.
- Represented a major corporation in the forced dissolution of a multi million dollar joint venture.
- Represented an upscale business in a multi million dollar commercial landlord/tenant dispute.
- National Counsel for several manufacturing companies, overseeing tens of thousands of lawsuits in the areas of products liability, toxic and mass tort, as well as business and corporate matters.
- Appointed to the national trial team for equipment manufacturer to take over and try high risk products liability toxic tort cases from local counsel nationwide.
- Published in Verdict Search for successful prosecution of trademark infringement matter.
- Returned wrongfully foreclosed property to an Alzheimerís patient in a NJ tax lien foreclosure action.
- Represented numerous corporations and individuals in employment litigation.
University of Connecticut, B.S. (Business Management & Finance), 1993, cum laude
Rutgers University School of Law-Camden, J.D., 1996
State of New Jersey
U.S. District Court of New Jersey
State of New York
State of Pennsylvania
New York State Bar Association-Trial Lawyers Section
New York County Lawyers Association
New Jersey State Bar Association
ABA-Litigation Section: Mass Tort Litigation, Products Liability & Trial Practice Committees
Nominated for University of Connecticut's Top 40 Alumni under 40
Who's Who among Executives, Professionals and Entrepreneurs
Judge, American Bar Association's National Appellate Advocacy Competition
Published cases in Verdict Search, IP Mall-Franklin Pierce Law Center IP Issue on Trademarks & Unfair Competition, and Find-A-Case, NJ
Speaker at National Counsel client breakout seminars at the Defense Research Institute Asbestos Medicine Seminar on the topics of "How to Become a Hard Target" and "Use of QPLs and MIL Specs in the Defense of Asbestos Claims".